Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Adults Reading YA Lit

In a recent issue of "The Oregonian", columnist April Henry debuted her new column surrounding the young adult literature genre.

As my daughter has grown older, the books I read to her every night have changed. Through her, I'm revisiting some books for teens I loved when I was her age, like Elizabeth George Speare's "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," and discovering contemporary books, such as Margaret Haddix's "Running Out of Time."
Now my little secret is that young adult novels make up about half of my reading. They can be every bit as complex or thoughtful as books for grown-ups. And Harry Potter notwithstanding, most of them are on the short side, making them easier to fit into my busy schedule.
Whether you are a teen, librarian, teacher or parent who cares about what young adults read, or even just an adult looking for a quick read, this new column aims to bring you some of the best new young adult books with a Northwest focus.
http://www.oregonlive.com/O/artsandbooks/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/116526932092990.xml&coll=7#continue

Henry's column will be dedicated to reviewing some of the newest y.a. literature available to young readers, but presenting it in such a way as to gain adult interest. Henry always gives the title, author, price and the number of pages, as well a full synopsis, to make it easy for her readers to pick and choose what books might suit thier interests and busy schedules.

Henry is not the first adult I've come across that enjoys reading contempoary y.a. lit - many teacher's I've had over the course of my education have often been found reading y.a. novels to help guide their students to novels they might enjoy.

No comments: